Saturday 15 November 2008

While he was sleeping...

I look at him as he lay asleep ...his handsome face gentle and seemingly at peace with himself, perhaps a sweet dream as his mouth twitched into the faintest hint of a smile, and his dark lashes resting on his soft cheeks, I look at that face and felt that sudden rush of overwhelming love for him flow through me...a most beautiful feeling which takes my breath away everytime.

He has been through a lot this past 2 weeks - a roller coaster of emotions. To miss me when I was hospitalised recently, to stay home alone with no one to talk to...and in that state to celebrate his birthday...alone. If not for his connection to the outside world through his Facebook page, no one would know of his birthday. I am glad he has many concerned friends in facebook.

The good news he claims now that he is finally a TRUE CERTIFIED MALAYSIAN...and many wondered why. He proudly claims, "Well, as of 11/11 I am officially 12. I shall be getting my MY KAD soon and that makes me a true Malaysian".

He is my baby boy, my youngest son who did me proud by scoring straight As for his UPSR and Mumtaz for his PSRA recently. My cheerful, witty ,excellent young son (that is the meaning of his name actually!). As I watch him asleep now, he seemed so much a little boy yet that I almost dont have the heart to wake him up for his fajr prayer.

Then it dawned on me...that my true measure of love for him is not by his achievements in the academic field only, but more than that I am glad that he is a young man who can be roused to wake up for the fajr prayer without much fuss and harrass, he is a young man who has been fasting ever since he was 6 and cherish the month of Ramadhan, that he is a young man who can quote verses of the Quran to highlight a point in his conversation.

Yet he is also the one who has caused commotion between two sisters who are vying for his attention, he is the one who gives out a good fight back when his peers made fun of him, he is the one who is aware that Linkin Park? is a singing group, yet he is the one who can go to bed at night only after ummi gives him a peck on the cheeks and hugs him. In short, he is that young boy who knows he is my baby..anytime.

And so, I realise that even though one he may grow up, and hopefully be successful in his studies, make a good career in his life, what I wish for more is that he turns out to be a man who knows of his duties to his Maker, of his responsibilities to his parents and family, of his commitment to the betterment of his society.

And it is my duty to make sure that he is set on the right path to success..So..i shall wake him up for his fajr prayer...

No comments: