Sunday 13 January 2008

My Poor Baby!

Salaam. I have committed myself to writing a journal of my expedition to Turkey. But when school starts, I am so swamped by the different school chores, that at times, I just feel like getting out of the profession, despite my great love for teaching. The teaching part, and interacting with the different kinds of students were never the problem. It is always the paper work...and more paper work. I am sometimes made to feel like a clerk, or an office staff, and I wonder if all those paper work are really necessary...or merely to help some big shot way up there look good. Hmm...

Anyway, determined though as I am to proceed with my Turkey journal, which, by the way can only be written during the weekends now, something happened yesterday which compelled me to jot about it first, yet again putting my Turkey post on hold.

You know what, yesterday was really a day of playing "supir", driver for me...constantly on the move hoarding one of the two boys for their different activities. At 12, after sending big brother for his Form 4 tuition, i headed straight to my little boy's school to fetch him from his co-curricular activities, before he rushes off for his tuition class. As I reached his school, a despondent, upset looking Zakiy awaited me. To tell truthfully, he was in fact looking ready to burst into tears. "What now?"

It turned out that he was not pleased with the running of presidential and committee elections for the club he had joined - The Bahasa Arab Club. Last year, he was the Treasurer. Surprisingly, this year he discovered that there were simply too many girls registering into the Club, totally overshadowing the number of male members. My Zakiy was nominated for President, but due to the sheer number of girls, needless to say, he lost the seat to a girl! It turned out, all, except for 2 seats in the committee, were won by girls.

Really, to me it is no big deal - such is the reality of life. But what made my heart go out for my poor baby, is that, unlike big brother, where every post, every rank, every form of acknowledgment is handed to him, almost on a silver platter (I sometimes think he really is living up to his name!), my baby Zakiy, like any other boys, has to work hard, struggle, to make his mark in school. It is understandable that he wants to excel like his big brother, but where everything is a "breeze" to Abang, Adik has to prove his worth all the time...my poor poor baby. He really was aiming for the presidential post since last year, as there were not many members at that time, and he was actively participating and putting his worth for the society. I know he was bitterly disappointed not to even hold a single post this year in the club. My poor baby. To comfort him, I told him he is better off just being an ordinary member, because it can be quite testing to work under a female boss (don't we all experience it at one time or another..)

As a prefect, he is not legible to hold any main post in the classroom committee. He is not outstanding in sports, so really there is only one option open for him right now - to be the Head Prefect. There is no hiding how much he covets that post, following in Abang's footsteps. Professionally, as an educator, taking into account his abilities and experiences compared to his classmates, I think Ahmad Zakiy Mohsin has a chance, he is by far more matured than his peers. He has good communication skills, he has always been in the top 3 students list in class as far as school performance is concerned, he has been an active prefect since Primary 4. The only thing which might be a problem is that, where Abang had the face and the built as a Head Prefect, my baby has a pampered appearance, and the way he talks actually shows he is how shall I put it..."my baby". But I think, the Prefectorial Board should not see that as a setback to him being elected Head Prefect God Willing. Children are fast learners.

It doesn't matter to me in the least to me if he is a head prefect or not, or even if he is a prefect at all. But if that is what he wants, then I will surely support him and his ambition. After all, being a Head Prefect will go far in training him to be a more responsible, understanding Muslim young man one day Inshaallah. I know, Zakiy only wishes to be the best that he can.

And so, my baby, Ummi will pray very hard that your disappointment at not being elected President of Bah. Arab club, will be more than compensated when you get elected as Head Prefect of your school. I will surely pray for you, and should you succeed in getting what you want, inshaallah your big brother and I will always support you and guide you to be the best Head Prefect that you can be. But whatever the outcome, remember, Ummi loves you very much, and I know you are already a leader in your own right, okay, because you are a good Muslim, and a very good, obedient son. So smile now...

1 comment:

Mujtahid005 said...

salam...
akiy u r d best...
ummi nnt bwk achp gi jusco nk blnje akiy 1901... hihihi...
i'll always pray 4 u yeah, Zakiy...
be a Head Prefect!!! chaiyok!!! sayang akiy... X)