Tuesday 21 August 2007

Why I SimplyLove Teaching

Salaam! Today at 2 i was in Shah Alam, sending Ashraf my big boy to his additional tuition class in preparation for his PMR. Ordinarily i wouldnt mind if he wanted to take a break from tuition during this midterm holidays, but after observing how much time he spends at the computer, i decided it would be better for him to have some solid 3 hours of guided revision after all.
Anyway, i had lunch at the nearby Restoran Ali, and you know what? Just as i finished making our orders, a young Indian man approached me smilingly. He looked very familiar, but i couldnt quite make him out in the beginning. I was pretty sure he must be one of my students, so i tried picturing him in school uniform - yes it was my ex BIO student from last year, 5 Gigih of ACS...Logavinod!
We talked for sometime - he did very well in his SPM, and is currently doing Dip in Med. Lab Tchnology, or something like that. But what i remember is he is now studying Microbiology, Biochemistry, Haemotology, and all the other "logies" associated with Biology. He looked very excited telling me about his course, and i could see he is enjoying his dip. course. I told him that, and he agreed, so i added that it is a great bonus to really enjoy what we are studying. He smiled.
Then he said something which really really made my day. You know what? He told me that he was very lucky to have had me as his bio teacher the 2 years he was doing it in SPM, and thanked me. Then he told my boys that "I enjoyed your mother's class very much, she is a very talented teacher!" (hey..i did not say it ok..he said it..smile).
Feeling slightly embarrassed and a lot pleased at my student's testimony which i believe came from his heart, I told him I m not really that talented, i just love what I do - teaching my favorite subject, Biology.
And you know what else? everytime any of my exstudent comes up to me, actually recognises me whenever we run into one another, and then they say "Thank you teacher, I really enjoyed your class, and your lessons" it makes up for all my frustrations, my heartaches, my anger, my failures, my flaws....as a teacher. O I love being a teacher...no matter what you parents out there may misconceive us to be sometimes.

4 comments:

Mujtahid005 said...

Arta'idu Irti'aadan Katheeran...

Mujtahid005 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bluewonder said...

For many of us who choose teaching as a vocation, it is because we feel that we not only can be good teachers BUT great teachers.

Anonymous said...

Salam,
You have the best sons that any mother could ask for. You should be very proud indeed. Although, i just know your son (Ilman, that is), for only months - quite frankly, i AM very, very, impressed with him. All about him to be honest. May Allah bless u and your precious family. Wallahu'Alam.

LittleCaliph
Newcastle-upon-Tyne