Sunday 25 May 2008

APC

Last Thursday, 22/5/2008, I finally went to Goldcourse Hotel in Klang for the APC award ceremony (see previous posts). Johari, Azman and Noradila car pooled with me, and we had Johari driving my vehicle...(thank God..on the way back, the town was heavily jammed). We left school in time to reach the hotel in Klang by 8 am. Once there, the others, Rajamokan, Mr. Surinder, Mr. Lee Tsai Fui and Jaja were alreaday there. They had come on their own.

I am not always comfortable in formal situations, but upon registration, I was happy to be greeted by so many friends from my previous schools - especially the teachers who were in my Science Panitia once when I was head of the Science panel in SMKKJ - Vanitha was there, and so were Romizah, Shafiqah, Rupitah, Cikgu Mat Aris, and a few others, whose names have escaped me right now. I am so glad they are getting the award too (APC = Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang/Excellent Service Award) for their tireless effort in teaching. Vanitha and Rumizah once worked with me in the Science Panel, and I must admit I admire their dilligence and commitment to their jobs. I am just glad that their efforts are being recognised finally.

We, the ACSians were placed upstairs in the hall, table 57. As usual, speeches were made by the VIPS. As we listened and waited, the butterflies in my stomach grew in numbers and fluttered wildly within. As I said, I am never comfortable in formal situations, where protocol must be observed, and even worse when I have to go upstage...for any reason at all. I prefer to be just one of the backbenchers...anytime. Thank God, messages from friends encouraging me proved useful in calming my nerves.



And then, as usual, the barrage of speeches ensued. I could see many were not listening, I try to as much as I can. Interesting to find out what our supreme education officers have to say. One comment made by the Selangor Pengarah Pendidikan, Datin Hamidah Nordin, caught my interest, and sparked off my brain into thinking. She made a reference to the present community today who dare speak up, in loud and clear voice, their dissatisfaction with what the government was doing. Point accepted. Then ironically she continued and questioned whose fault is it? that we have created a generation of citizens who dare criticise the government? And, according to her, guess whose fault it is? yup...she blames it on the teachers who have probably built a generation of ingrates.



Excuse me!!! What does the education system in our country really wish to achieve? Just a breed of "yes master", "yes massah" zombies? Just a generation of youngsters who are experts on sucking up? What is wrong in criticising the goverment, if the mass thinks it is erring in its ways? At least it acts as a check and balance mechanism, I should think. That the citizens of Malaysia can see and criticise, is an indicator that the new generation is a thinking one...able to discern what is acceptable and what is not.



And why are we teachers to be blamed? I believe the majority of us teachers adhere to the pledge we take...we realise our position is one that has high impact on the future generation. We adhere to what is good, what is moral, what is true...and we propagate it. And I believe, if the truth sometimes hurt, so it hurts! But the crucial thing is to learn from our mistakes..not blame others ..or what is worse..accuse others, such as us teachers as being the propagators of ingrates. I think that is a wee bit uncalled for. If an unjust is done, it will be seen somehow or rather, sooner or later, and we teachers certainly don't need to highlight it.

As a teacher, I am a paid employee, meaning I am paid for the service I render...and by saying so, what I do for my living, what my relationship is with my employer, should not, in any way, undermine my freedom of thoughts, the principles I believe in. My movements might be restricted to a certain extent because I work with the government, but certainly not my thoughts. The freedom to think and to discern what we deem good or bad, is our birthright, and as a teacher, I am not prepared to deprive my students of that right. Wallahualam.
P/S: You know what...when i returned to school that afternoon, the most beautiful hand bouquet of macdonald's lilies were waiting for me on my table..it was only signed from a "you know who". Boy..if I wasn't the envy of the day! Well You Know Who..you know who you are, thank you so very much...it was such a lovely and most unexpected surprise. Needless to say, it made this happy day for me, almost perfect...yea.. a bouquet for teacher Hafizah...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what you have written is a good thot indeed and i really hope that ther are more educators like you, and we wont have so much problems of racial impartiallity.

as for the bouquet, you are most welcome...cos, you deserve it.