Tuesday 19 August 2008

ALL PRAISE TO ALLAH - 20 YEARS ALREADY!

Salaam. It is now 2130 hours - and I am stuck at chapter 5. Its not for the lack of plots and ideas, but more on how to connect one episode to another. So, whilst I wait for inspiration, I might as well write something on this blog...not simply write, but because 20 years ago, today, holds a very significant event in my life.

I cannot even begin to thank Allah that it has been 20 years already that I have gone through my renal transplant. Gosh...the wonders of modern medicine and modern science never cease to amaze me...and the miracle of God...yes, for every little thing that passes through our lives, that we take for granted, they all are miracles to me after my new lease in life ...from 20 years back. While many females shudder at the thought of sweat, I am grateful for being able to sweat again for these past 20 years.. a sign that my system is on the go, and that it is removing excess heat, and excess urea and nitrogenous waste products from my body. Trust me, it is no small deal when your body fails to remove excess heat from you - it makes you feel like being in a state of perpetual low grade fever - a very depressing feeling, I assure you.

Today I am taken back to that fateful Tuesday (wow ..and it was a Tuesday too), when my most beloved sis, ONI, and I were wheeled to the operation theatre for the transplant. I was a horribly thin (38kg) individual, dark, with dry skin and pale lips and childless...and now 20 years later, today, I am this chubby woman, still dark, but no longer pale and my skin is no longer dry. And above all, I am so grateful to Allah that I feel as good as any other healthy person out there. And you know what...many people are taken aback when I tell them that I am a renal transplant patient. My appearance today, all praise be to Allah, does not, in any way, give away any telltale sign of being a transplant patient. Even the moon faced syndrome due to steroid intake has reduced quite considerably.

But above all, above all, the greatest miracle following my transplant are my two handsome, intelligent, obedient young sons, Ashraf (who now prefers to be called Ilman, excuse me) and Zakiy. I am forever thankful to God for them both; I mean even some healthier women are childless today, but I am so blessed to be given this second chance in life.

And although taking steroid is not without its adverse side effects, I have been living this good life for 20 years now. Of course I pray that I live for many more years, in time to see some of grandchildren at least, but these 20 years of life, on most part have been very good to me, with both my boys beside me. My fate is in God's hands, and He is the Best to decide when my time is due... I surrender my fate to His Will. Allah has been kind to this servant of His, and today I stand humbled, and repentant over my sins and wrong doings. Yet, I believe that Allah, His Most Merciful accepts me as I am, weakness and all...I believe that of my Creator...

And it is for this love of God, you know what, that I am so thankful to all - my sister Oni, my husband, my parents, my brothers and sisters who all love me very much, and I can feel their love every moment, all the doctors, especially Dr. Zaki Murad, and my uncle, Dr. Prohoeman (who retired and returned to Sumatera just after my transplant), the nurses and all those who have crossed my path, relatives, friends and students who have prayed for me...THANK YOU all and may God reward you....

And as for my 2 gem - one of you guys, if not both...please be a doctor, and do service to mankind...at least I can comfort myself knowing that I have contributed to the good of mankind, through the both of you.

Whatever that comes now, and after this, I shall learn to take things in my stride. I was in my mid twenties when I had my transplant, and now I am in my mid forties...times have changed, many things have changed, some loved ones have come and gone, I have had my shares of ups and downs, my share of tears and laughter, my fill of joy and heartache. And you know what? All of this is possible...because of this day, 20 years ago, when I was given a new lease of life...and because of it, I embrace life now... and all it has to offer. And God knows best.

with a nephew, Emir just before transplant

with another nephew, Jimmy, just after transplant...fighting for the "most chubby" trophy!

still able to celebrate yet another birthday, all praise be to Allah!

and to fool around on other people's birthday - Mak's recent birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on successful 20 yrs of transplant..last week Ive completed my first year of transplant and I hope I have a long way to go...wish u good luck in ur journey........

The Guarding Light said...

thank you, and same to you too saimanohar