Sunday 9 March 2008

A New Dawn for Malaysia

Salaam. The 12th general election held on 8th March 2008 beheld unexpected results and outcomes - a real tsunami hitting the political world in Malaysia, the first time that I can remember. A new dawn heralds...

I was awakened by hubby dear who was particularly excited to go out and vote...at around 7.30 am. Myself personally, I was not that enthusiastic; not that I had given up on Malaysian politics, just that I did not want to get upset and disappointed if yet again, the results were just as previous years, with the government party winning with such blatant majority that it seems almost obscene to think that they don't appear to be challenged at all. Inwardly, I would want to see some pressure so that the winning party would not be too comfortable sitting on their laurels that even if they placed a wooden plank as a candidate, the plank would win...

I was more in need for breakfast first. This was the first time my boys would be witnessing Malaysia's general election with a more conscious understanding. They were eager and excited to know what goes on at the polling station. It was like a day of festivity for them, and for me too, come to think of it. I was eager to let the day be an educational one for my boys. I was never as aware about politics when I was 12 or 16, even though Abah, my father, Allah bless his soul was a champion for the political party he devoted his life to. Politics, never meant much to me then.

So, in this excited festive mood, we decided to have breakfast outside. Alas, everywhere in town there was heavy traffic from as early as 9 am. Obviously, other Malaysians too were eager to perform their duties to the state and nation. Still, finally, alhamdulillah we made it to the restaurant for breakfast and then headed off straight to the polling station where both hubby and I were registered.

I watched as my sons observed the goings on around the polling station excitedly. Good! They were being educated. We took them in as far as they could be allowed and then both hubby and I proceeded to register our names with the registration clerk. I was assigned to Room 2. I realised now, that indeed age is catching up on me, now that I have been promoted to Room 2! I understand that the assignments to the respective rooms are based on our birth dates, which means that I am climbing up on the seniority ladder (rueful smile...)

The procedure was as in previous years and in no time, mentioning Bismillah I cast my vote. I had done my duty. I didn't forget though to say a word of prayer that Allah be pleased with my decision and help the party that I vote for to win. I think it is only normal that I wish for the party that I vote for to win, isn't it?

And then we waited...

Personally I did not expect any drastic changes to happen. However, I had my own prayers for my township and my state. I had prayed for the people to be more alert and to vote with a more clear and conscious mind. I feel that it is the people who are responsible to keep the governing party always alert and on their toes, giving them just the right pressure so that they they do not get too comfortable, too complacent, that they can think, anything they decide to do, or any statements they make will be accepted by the masses unquestioningly. This is the new millenia, the old trick of placing fear to gain votes, or by saying things which imply that we the masses are so simple minded no longer applies. I feel that my thoughts on this matter is shared by many others. Anyway, the results of this general election will tell.

After dinner, we rushed off to await the incoming results at big brother's house nearby. It was expected that the results would finally be announced at the latest by midnight. We bought satay and crisps for the late night stay up.

Subhanallah..Allahu Akbar! The results that finally came pouring in were simply beyond what I expected. Mind boggling! It was as if a tsunami wave had hit the political scenario in Malaysia. The silent majority had spoken! Malaysia wants a change...a new dawn for a new Malaysia seems to be the call of the day. People Power was the order of the day! (How is it said in Tamil - Makkl Sakti I think). For the first time as long as I can recall, the government party won without achieving the two thirds majority! Of the 13 states in Malaysia, 5 states were won by the alliance of the opposition party - Penang, Kedah, Perak, Selangor and Kelantan. Interestingly, with the exception of Kelantan, these are all states of the west coast, where we see many big cities and towns. It seems to tell me something. I feel that the people here are more alert and aware of the political scenario in Malaysia, having a clearer picture of the reality of the political world in Malaysia, and with the aid of the electronic media, such as the internet, are able to discuss and debate issues faster and more freely. This results in the majority knowing what they want and finally putting their foot down and voicing what they want. This is a new generation where, I think, the masses look for something more than just the promise of physical comfort, but more for leaders who can walk their talk, who will listen to them, who are genuinely concerned for their welfare, who walk with them, who work together with them to build a better, more morally upright Malaysia.

Some will say what is to become of Malaysia with the new generation now looking as if they are out to oust the older generation. I try to look at it this way...a nation is only alive for as long as it is dynamic in its thinking. This is how history is made, this is what history teaches us. Change is unavoidable if we want to move on. For every generation, it has its own ways. Sayidina Omar once said something to this effect when he advised parents to educate their children according to the latter's time and environment, since our children are not born in our times so they would essentially be different in their views and sentiments. I can safely say this most recent election results have exemplified the truth in Omar's r.a. words.

What is done is done. What is important is that we all learn something from this incident in history. I certainly hope with the discussions hubby and I have with our boys, and what they witnessed on 8th March 2008, that they have learnt something too, and realise the rise and fall of their nation in future lies in their hands, that they will have a role to play as citizens of Malaysia, and cannot afford to stay ignorant or be disinterested. I too learn something, that no matter how we plan and aspire, the Will of Allah dictates. We just have to pray for Allah's guidance and work to achieve our goals with unflinching faith that help from Allah will come, sooner or later. I learn too, that the people is what that makes the nation, and so, should be treated with respect, not taken for granted, or thought of as being incapable of making changes. Allah Knows Best.

The general election this time only shows that their is hope yet for Malaysia and Malaysians. But it calls for a huge effort from all sides, to work together, strive diligently for a better, safer Malaysia, a Malaysia that is more alert and sensitive to the needs of her people...but above all, without God before us, all is vanity...

No comments: