Monday 10 March 2008

The Unforgettable trip continues - Day 5, The Visit to Onyx Stone Powerhouse

Salaam, now that things have cooled down somewhat in my household after the general election which resulted in the people's power given the mandate to represent my state for this term, and the excitement and suspense within me settling down gradually, I can concentrate again on my writing; and to where I left off with my recollections of my unforgettable trip to Turkey. Every time I get bogged down with work in school, I will look back at pictures of my Turkey trip and rejoiced at the exhilirating feeling and the freedom that I felt. I have not given up on my determination to write accounts of my expedition there, no matter how long it takes, as the memories are still fresh in my mind.

Now, from where I left off...

On the fifth day of my trip, early morning cancellation of the hot air balloon ride was somewhat compensated by the beautiful view around Cappadocea (see earlier blog on trip to Turkey). From there, we were taken around the valley and enroute, Enis our guide, gave a brief history of the area around. It is believed that the Hittites were amongst the earlier people here to form a civilisation circa 2nd AD. where the christians dug out the ground to make homes. Later, St. Basil, and St Gregory (the Illuminator), built a community here and schools for the christians. This marks the monastery type of life here until 743, when the christians were divided into 2 sections. Those in Anatolia (byzantium)were keen on painting idols as showing their devotion to christianity, where the idea was rejected and refused by the churches in Europe. Presumably this misunderstanding between the two schools of thought led the christians here to build underground city for hiding (from what?whom? - NOTE: this is my understanding of the history as told by Enis our guide. Would gladly welcome a more detailed account from anyone who have more information). So this hiding went on, until, when the Turks came, one of the Ottoman sultans gave them their freedom to come out of their hiding. That is the historical aspect.

Something interesting caught my attention, and as if reading my mind, Enis started to explain about the present people in that area. The few that I saw were elderly looking, and I wondered where the younger people were. It was interesting when Enis pointed out that the people here actually looked older than their real age. This fact was due to the content of the soil being rich in asbestos. So unfortunately, many of the locals here suffer from cancer and age way before their time. How unfortunate for a land so beautiful and breathtaking to turn out deadly for her people. It was a humbling thought for me.

Anyways, continuing on with the sightseeing, we were then herded off to the Onyx Stonehouse to witness some of the most beautiful turquoise gem I have ever seen. It was indeed a gem of a place, pardon the cliche. We were greeted by a friendly man who explained the science of the gemstone. Onyx means nailstone, or scientifically Calcium carbonate. Turquoise, on the other hand, means Turkish stone, a beautifully dazzling blue colour. He went on with his explanations, claiming that turquoise is the only living stone/gem as it changes colour in the earth as it mixes with copper underground. And hooray! when the instructor asked for the colour of copper, I am grateful for my Science background when I was able to answer him correctly. What really thrilled me, was that, for my correct answer I had won myself an onyx ornament - a small turtle replica.

And the, for the very first time in my many years of life, I indulged and pampered myself to a beautiful blue topaz ring and matching pendant. I have never indulged like this before, and it felt good to pamper myself to something so beautiful and exquisite. Unforgettable...
The others too I believe, quite forgot themselves and just helped themselves to their hearts' desire. The beautiful gemstones just simply seemed to bedazzle our eyes.

And to make a beautiful morning perfect, we were then treated lunch at a most interesting, romantic cavern-like restaurant. The ambience was warm and comfortably relaxing with a 3 course lunch, main dish being a real delight to the palate - baked fish. The relaxing atmosphere was further enhanced by the accompaniment of a musician playing to the Arabic/Turkish tunes on his musical instrument.

After a heavy, heady lunch, we were then taken to another place of interest - the Pottery House. All about this in later post. Anyway, here are some more snapshots on our 5th day leg of our expedition to Turkey. And o, by the way, just for your information, the colour of copper? green...hehehe...

entrance to the underground city


the many entrance sites to the underground tunnel - these are us who only hover at the top; Jua and others went in further to explore

Onyx Stone Powerhouse

the instructor greeting us and giving intro to the gemstone powerhouse

"very affordable prices ladies..."

the view of the showrooms
enjoying a cup of apple tea after indulging in gemstone shopping

the onyx turtle that i won...hehehe

lunch awaits at cavern like restaurant - the Uranos Sarikaya.
resting lounge at restaurant
the dining area - a romantic ambience

waiating to be served
being served

spaghetti for starters

and entertained with music
- to the tune of Ali Baba by P. Ramlee

No comments: