Wednesday 19 March 2008

Yeah...we made it!

Salaam, you know what? I am very excited to write this blog. Today, it was raining when I reached school at 7.30 am, a bit late, due to the extra heavy traffic jam because of the rain. By all accounts I was late, since I had to bring my Lower Secondary Science Team for the District Level Inter school Science Quiz. As soon as I made it to school, I jumped out of my car, dashed to the school foyer where my 3 + 1 team members were already waiting. They were Rahupathy, Ng Shang Ying, Arvinraaj and reserve, Pravin.

We had to go to Sm(P) Kapar, which was quite a distance from ACS, and with the rain and traffic jam I was worried I could not make it by 8 am. However, I comforted myself with the thought that other participants would be late too in this kind of weather; so they would probably start off the quiz at a later time too.

True enough, by the time we reached the school in the real downpour, we were obviously not the last. And my prediction that the quiz would start of later was true - it finally started at 9.15 am. So, whilst waiting, I sat with the boys and started asking Rahupathy who was seated next to me some general questions...like the virus which causes SARS, the meaning of SARS, the scientific name for man, the component of the blood that is used in the test for determining HIV, World Kidney day, number of human chromosomes and a few other. One or two of these questions I managed to forward to the other 3 students as well.

Once again, as in previous years, I was one of the marking team after the test for all participants ended 30 mins from its commencement. So, it followed that I got access as to which school would go to the finals. Previously, ACS lost out to a chance question when it tied marks with another school, and so was ousted from the 5th finalist line up.

Again, this year, I was apprehensive when the judges said there was a tie for the sixth place. O no! not again, I had specifiically hand picked my team members this year, really they were the creme de la creme of science in the school. And I had given them workbooks to do their revision and test their skills during the 1 week midterm break. I was determined this time not to be frustrated by sheer bad luck.

Thank God, it turned out that the 2 finalist involved were not from ACS. On the contrary, we had scored the second highest marks! I was hopeful.

Hurrying back to where my students were, I slowly let out the good news and told them we had scored second position. One of the team members was a bit jittery, so I told him we can beat the others and make it to the top. He turned around and asked me, "All I need to do is be relaxed, right teacher?". The poor sweet boy. It was no joke for him ...the idea of representing the school! I simply nodded and patted him on the shoulder for encouragement and moral support.

The team from SMK Kuang Hua, who was the leading team, was a real tough contender, obtaining a perfect score of 6. But then, so were the gentlemen of ACS. I was getting excited and anxious at the same time. It finally came down to a draw for us - once again, but this time a fight for 1st place. Each 1st member had answered correctly, then the 2nd member of the rival school managed to give an extra mark for her team. Then, our 2nd team member was asked, "What component in our blood is used to detect HIV?" O my God, I had asked the question to Rahupathy earlier on...but not to the other 2 members. Alas, he did not know the answer...and so we lost by 1 mark to SMK Kuang Hua...and came second.

But it was a good match, we were up against a worthy opponent. ACS has not won these past years, and I am so thankful, at least, my team members have retained our honour as one of the premier schools in this state. Coincidentally, whilst my team was out battling for the prestige and honour of ACS, in school a celebration was going on to celebrate the school's 115th birthday. A day to remember indeed.

And so, still in the mood of celebrating our victory, I took the boys for a treat at KFC, Teluk Pulai. They were good boys, and from my conversations with them, they all had parents who are caring and nurturing. These boys remind me of my own 2 boys... I hope that they too will do their school proud before they leave one day.

And so, next Monday, I will announce this good news during assembly. Well done boys!! Way to go ACS...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cobgrat...Rahupathy is indeed a sweet boy but Zee is sweeter hahahhah....miss you lah

The Guarding Light said...

Hey, iknow u anonymous zee....see u on monday then...